Week 12 @ Cognicity – Pitching time
The kn-i Pitch
After 11 weeks on a start up challenge. One of the net results is a better pitch on what your product does and how you better sell yourself and what you do. On the 13th April, David & I got the chance in 5 minutes to pitch to Canary Wharf Group.
Here is that pitch including a few of the slides we used.
- Smart Cities Consulting. KnowNow create Smart City Blueprints. Making sure information in a place has relevance and use – our Smart City Design Asset
- In home Sensor units for research projects – KnowNow design, deliver and manage small and large scale sensor rollouts. our IoT Asset!
- Award winning – Flood Prediction Modelling – KnowNow won in 2014 a UK Big Data competition. This is with collaboration of the STFC and Our Big Data Asset!
- Finally, the new kn-i app – Our Smart City Information Marketplace Asset that we have developed on the Cognicity Challenge.
What is the problem
Canary Wharf has a number of challenges that the kn-i app and platform will be able to alleviate. Due to the nature of the population coming to and from Canary Wharf the peaks of the day are often long, heavy and easily impacted by an external event (service quality of the tube or the weather).
- Peaky – very busy to very empty
- Understanding what is happening in realtime across the estate.
- Effective exploitation of the assets in Canary Wharf
- Maximising land value
All about the place
KnowNow can use open data from the UK perspective, including from London (via London Data Store) and Tower Hamlets sources too. Yet little data is available for Canary Wharf. Understanding information about a place is essential to being able to influence behaviour and changing how people interact with that place. The place needs to consider the outcomes they wish to pursue. KnowNow can help identify the outcomes though our smart city asset.
How does kn-i work?
Well, when you land in a place your can either Eat, Sleep, Play, Go. kn-i marries what is there to what you want as kn-i has a special relationship with each user. Which is due to the unique Trust function that allows kn-i to only uses the information you give permission for.
This means kn-i can give you what you want when you want it. Push the slider to the right kn-i has a rich set of criteria and a perfect answer. Push to the left, it knows nothing about you other than you want some information.
But this is not all, the kn-i app is also a new economic opportunity. The kn-i platform and app is open. The aim here is to encourage other developers to also write services for a place so that it can really come alive. This creates a sustainable information marketplace for Canary Wharf.
An example KnowNow has created to show off both this open marketplace and also allow Canary Wharf to be a differentiator is a new Augmented Reality service for the London Docklands Museum.
A key strength of the kn-i platform is its openness and interoperability. In terms of Cognicity partners this is demonstrated by the breadth of interoperability. Our partners are diverse with a world class pedigree.
Our pilot will deploy the kn-i platform as well as the citizen application which will tie together the ‘place Canary Wharf’ and the 100k people who visit here every workday.
Fundamentally, by investing in your digital infrastructure you will improve the land value through increased footfall & dwell time and a reduction in location risk through improved insight of the place that is Canary Wharf.